User Tools

Site Tools


public:warwick

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
Next revision
Previous revision
public:warwick [2019/05/12 22:10]
MikeP [2019 Meetings]
public:warwick [2020/05/02 09:16] (current)
MikeP [2020 Meetings]
Line 282: Line 282:
 This was a highly interactive session with many questions posed and answered. This was a highly interactive session with many questions posed and answered.
  
-{{:​public:​wnoag_may_2019-05.jpg?​400 |}}+{{ :​public:​wnoag_may_2019-05.jpg?​400 |}} 
 In the afternoon, David Roberts presented “Power Supplies & Wiring for CBUS”. Besides giving a comprehensive description of the types of power supplies available, he emphasised the safety aspects of choosing a power supply and also the appropriate wire sizes for the power and CBUS installation. ​ In the afternoon, David Roberts presented “Power Supplies & Wiring for CBUS”. Besides giving a comprehensive description of the types of power supplies available, he emphasised the safety aspects of choosing a power supply and also the appropriate wire sizes for the power and CBUS installation. ​
 Again, many questions and a lively discussion. Again, many questions and a lively discussion.
  
  
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**JULY 27th 2019**</​color>​
 +
 +The WNO MERG Area Group continues to attract in excess of 30 members to the bi-monthly day long meetings at the Leamington and Warwick Model Railway Society Clubrooms. On July 27th, 35 members were joined by **<color #​00a2e8>​Bob Vetterlein</​color>​**,​ the MERG Committee Area Groups Co-ordinator.
 +
 +As usual, members arrived at 9:30 to allow time for the group'​s signature bacon rolls, a drink and an informal chat before the meeting gets underway. With both our regular cooks still unavailable,​ **<color #​00a2e8>​Jeremy Mole</​color>​** stepped in to provide day long catering leaving **<color #​00a2e8>​Bob Mercer</​color>​** to handle meet and greet and the front of house activities.
 +
 +**<color #​00a2e8>​Mike Plowman</​color>​** welcomed the members by introducing the fourth session of the year long **<color #​00a2e8>​CBUS from Soup to Nuts</​color>​** programme and reminded members of the next meeting dates. He also emphasised the importance of updating their personal membership data to ensure that, as the MERG email system is rolled out, they will continue to receive area group emails. ​
 +
 +**<color #​00a2e8>​Simon West</​color>​** presented on the subject of **<color #​00a2e8>​Developing Requirements</​color>​**. This was a wide ranging subject, offering the members advice about how to plan a model railway effectively taking into account personal objectives, budget, modelling capabilities,​ interests, portability and many other subjects. This stimulated many questions and many suggestions leading to a highly interactive session. ​
 +He followed on with a short presentation on **<color #​00a2e8>​Sourcing Components for Non-Kit Modules</​color>​** that is where PCB's are available either in the kit locker or direct from another MERG member (often where the module is listed on the Software Wiki). Again a highly interactive session. ​
 +
 +As the planned second presentation presenter was unfortunately indisposed,​**<​color #​00a2e8>​Mike Plowman</​color>​** gave members an update on the LWMRS n-gauge exhibition layout **<color #​00a2e8>​Kineton MERG CBUS / DCC implementation</​color>​.**
 +
 +An important part of the WNO Group activities are the informal, free format workshop activities in the afternoon. Members are able to ask questions, seek advice, see demonstrations and show technology or solution that they are developing.
 +
 +{{:​public:​wno_2019_july_1_roger_edwards.jpg?​400|}}
 +
 +Here **<color #​ed1c24>​Roger Edwards</​color>​**,​ the MERG Journal Publishing Manager, in questioning mode looking at Bob Mercer'​s inglenook demonstrator,​ Hutchinson'​s End. This demonstrator uses a combination of CBUS technology with Hector detectors and an Arduino to investigate different control methods.
 +
 +{{:​public:​wno_2019_july_2_john_gowers.jpg?​400|}}
 +
 +The soldering advice and hands-on sessions delivered by**<​color #​ed1c24>​John Gowers</​color>​** are always in demand. John always encourages members to "have a go" especially with SMD components. John also provides the Area Group Kit locker for the members during the lunch break.
 +{{:​public:​wno_2019_july_3_simon.jpg?​400|}}
 +{{ :​public:​wno_2019_july_4_simon.jpg?​400|}}
 +
 +Small groups of members often form around new demonstrations. ​
 +Here, **<color #​00a2e8>​Simon West</​color>​** is seen leading the discussion around technology which will be implemented shortly on the LWMRS Duxbury 00 gauge layout.
 +
 +
 +
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**SEPTEMBER 21st 2019**</​color>​
 +
 +Another strong attendance at this meeting, the fifth in the yearlong series, **“CBUS from Soup to Nuts”**, heard about **three different approaches to control panels**.
 + 
 +**<color #00a2e8> Mike Plowman </​color>​** kicked off with a simple panel using Veroboard to eliminate individual wires to the LED’s and switches. Mike explained the use of Microsoft Word ® to create the track plan on a one tenth grid to match the hole pattern of the Veroboard. Although the example was a small panel, the same technique had been used on the large control panel of Kineton, the LWMRS N gauge exhibition layout.
 +
 +**<color #00a2e8> Simon West </​color>​** showed how the two control panels on the LWMRS 00-gauge layout, Duxbury, had been developed. The main panel, which is four feet across, allows two operators to simultaneously change points or set routes. This led Simon to explain the importance of diodes in the push button matrix circuit. He showed how matrices of the CANPAN, CANLED64 and CANACE3 are structured and how back of panel wiring is simplified.
 +
 +{{:​public:​1_group_view.jpg?​400 |}}
 +Finally, **<color #00a2e8> John Gowers </​color>​** showed how he developed panels for his garden railway from early plywood prototypes through to custom PCB designed using Eagle ®. John discussed the changes which have been implemented in the manner of control of the LWMRS 0-gauge exhibition layout Kimble. The six operators use MERG CABs to control the locos and with the need to drive to the signals, the operators need to have accurate indication of loco position when approaching a signal provided on a small indication panel next to the operator position. He also discussed plans for future developments.
 +
 +The main event in the afternoon workshops was the demonstration by Simon West and then a hands-on session for members of writing firmware using the PICKit 3. Simon recommended the use of the ZIF socket method to write the firmware and using this, Simon was able to show how easy and straight forward the process is using the correct tools.
 +
 +**<color #00a2e8> Mike Collins </​color>​** ​ brought part of his home layout for advice regarding the implementation of CANMIO Universal firmware to operate a mixture of servos and relays. An interesting discussion involving several members enabled Mike to make significant progress. ​
 +
 +{{:​public:​img_0343.jpg?​400 |}}
 +{{ :​public:​img_0345.jpg?​400 |}}
 +{{ :​public:​img_0347.jpg?​400 |}}
 +
 +
 +
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**November 30th **</​color>​
 +
 +The largest attendance of the year for the final meeting of our CBUS from Soup to Nuts Series - 41 members squeezed into the LWMRS clubroom’s library. ​
 +
 +Many members had recently attended the Gaydon show (where Duxbury had featured) or Warley (where Kimble had won two awards) and used the informal get together at the start of the meeting to gather more information about the CBUS implementations on these layouts.
 +
 +The theme of this meeting was “Making Detection Useful”. That is, how to use information collected from movements on the track to either control, display or identify the stock. Three different approaches were presented.
 +
 +Bob Mercer, was unable to attend the meeting but he had prepared a video to show how he had used MERG Hectors at strategic positions in a small inglenook layout to detect not only the end positions of sidings but also to ensure that locos cannot run into incorrectly set points. The layout uses a combination of MERG CBUS modules and MERG DCC with a CBUS connected Arduino to provide automation and sound effects.
 +This layout had recently attracted much interest at the Gaydon and Warley shows and was available in the afternoon for members to try.
 +
 +David Thomas discussed his latest adventures with RFID. He showed how the RFID coils could be removed from low cost key fobs. These coils could be carefully reshaped to even fit inside an N Gauge vehicle. David has spent a significant amount of time researching RFID components to limit the cost of implementing the technology. He was able to demonstrate detection of individual locos which could then be linked to announcement systems both visual and sound.
 +
 +Finally, Tony Chamberlain expanded on his MERG Journal article (2019 – 2 – p13) – A Magnetic Identity. He showed how with a series of up to six “nano” magnets, 72 separate vehicles could be uniquely identified. Also, as the identity is unique, the direction of travel can be identified. Tony had used a Hall sensor attached to an Arduino to prove his concept using an N gauge locomotive.
 +
 +The presentations for this meeting and all previous meetings dating back to May 2017 can be found on the MERG Wiki.
 +==== 2020 Meetings ====
 +
 +At the end of 2019, the WNO members were asked to complete a survey which measured their satisfaction,​ asked for suggestions for improvement and collected a list of suggested subjects for inclusion in the 2020 meet schedule. This year, the theme for each meeting will be driven by items from the list. Also, the afternoon workshops will be more focussed to solve member’s problems and to give individual members the opportunity to show projects on which they are working.
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**JANUARY 26th 2020**</​color>​
 +
 +Responding to the members’ top request, <color #​00a2e8>​**Simon West**</​color>​ presented and demonstrated how to build non-kit CANMIO modules. Starting with the CANMIO-SVO as the start point, he explained the extra components required and also those components which are not required to build a CANMIO-OUT. ​
 +Simon recommended this 2nd generation module as it is the easiest option to implement rather than the CANVOUT which will be shipped with Universal firmware. CANMIO – OUT provides 8 output AND 8 logic level inputs.
 +Having explained the function of Firmware, Simon showed how to change the firmware using FCU and explained the importance of selecting the correct firmware from the MERG Wiki based upon the resonator / chip type combination.
 + 
 +<color #​00a2e8>​**John Gowers**</​color>​ provided two useful feedback sessions: a reflection on the AGM and feedback from the experience of taking the LWMRS 0 Gauge exhibition layout with its CBUS and MERG DCC installations to the Warley show at the NEC.
 +At this meeting, the workshops were particularly active with many members showing progress with personal projects and various kits being inspected, tested and made to work.
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**March 28th 2020**</​color>​
 +
 +This meeting was postponed due to the Covid-19 virus restrictions but replaced by a series of Virtual meetings using the Zoom application.
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**Virtual Meetings**</​color>​
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**April 2020 Meetings**</​color>​
 +
 +**Three meetings were held in April**. ​
 +
 +The first was a "set up" meeting, on **April 15th**, to ensure that all the members could logon and access the virtual space which most were able to accomplish, with about 30 members attending. **Alan Geekie** was invited to provide a "View from the Top of Merg" and was able to answer members questions. This meeting also enabled **Mike Collins** who is the Area Group moderator for the Zoom meetings to refine the registration process for members. This process is now in use and ensures the security and integrity of the meeting and its attendees. It allows members to register for a series of meetings then receive a confirmation email with an embedded link for use on the meeting day. Registered members also receive a reminder on the afternoon of the meeting.
 +
 +On **April 22nd**, 40 members attended to hear **Mike Plowman** give an "​Introduction to DCC" followed by **Simon West** covering "​Components of a DCC System"​. Simon'​s session was particularly interactive with members'​ questions being answered on the fly.
 +
 +On **April 29th**, 44 members came along to hear **David Roberts** and **Jeremy Mole** give advice about selecting and installing DCC Decoders.
 +
 +After three meetings, a "​poll"​ was held to determine how the members wished to proceed. Overwhelmingly,​ the members wanted to continue with 90 minute meetings generally on a fortnightly basis.
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**Meetings for May 2020**</​color>​
 +
 +**Meeting 1**: Wednesday, May 13th at 7pm:
 +
 +Members'​ Projects:
 +
 +An Arduino driven traverser - Keith Newton
 +
 +Arduino DCC++ - Alan Ferriday
 +
 +
 +**Meeting 2**: Wednesday May 20th at 7pm.
 +
 +Aligning DCC decoder sounds with the real world of driving an engine. - John Gowers
 +
 +**Meeting 3**: Wednesday May 27th at 7pm.
 +
 +Members'​ Projects:
 +
 +Progress with CANCOMPUTE - John Fletcher
  
 +Configuring DCC Decoders - David Roberts
  
-<color #ed1c24>**Further 2019 meetings will be held on the following dates**</​color>​ +All meetings in normal times are held at the club rooms of the <color #00a2e8>**Leamington and Warwick Model Railway Society**</​color> ​(www.lwmrs.co.uk)
-  * July 27th +
-  * September 21st +
-  * November 30th+
  
 +To attend a Virtual Warwickshire,​ North Oxfordshire MERG Area Group Meeting you must be a MERG member and opt for communications from the WNO Group. You will then receive invitations to register for the Virtual Meetings.
  
 More details are available on the Warwickshire,​ North Oxfordshire Area Group'​s Page of the Forum. More details are available on the Warwickshire,​ North Oxfordshire Area Group'​s Page of the Forum.
Line 302: Line 422:
 ==== Exhibitions ==== ==== Exhibitions ====
 **Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society Show**\\ **Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society Show**\\
-Saturday 6th March and Sunday 7th March 2020\\+Saturday 6th March and Sunday 7th March 2021\\
  
 Leamington Spa College, Warwick New Road, Leamington Spa, CV32 5JE.\\ Leamington Spa College, Warwick New Road, Leamington Spa, CV32 5JE.\\
public/warwick.1557699034.txt.gz · Last modified: 2019/05/12 22:10 by MikeP