User Tools

Site Tools


public:warwick

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
Next revision
Previous revision
public:warwick [2019/09/21 19:49]
MikeP [2019 Meetings]
public:warwick [2020/05/02 09:16] (current)
MikeP [2020 Meetings]
Line 332: Line 332:
 The main event in the afternoon workshops was the demonstration by Simon West and then a hands-on session for members of writing firmware using the PICKit 3. Simon recommended the use of the ZIF socket method to write the firmware and using this, Simon was able to show how easy and straight forward the process is using the correct tools. The main event in the afternoon workshops was the demonstration by Simon West and then a hands-on session for members of writing firmware using the PICKit 3. Simon recommended the use of the ZIF socket method to write the firmware and using this, Simon was able to show how easy and straight forward the process is using the correct tools.
  
-**<color #00a2e8> Mike Collins </​color>​** ​ brought part of his home layout ​(Dover) ​for advice regarding the implementation of CANMIO Universal firmware to operate a mixture of servos and relays. An interesting discussion involving several members enabled Mike to make significant progress. ​+**<color #00a2e8> Mike Collins </​color>​** ​ brought part of his home layout for advice regarding the implementation of CANMIO Universal firmware to operate a mixture of servos and relays. An interesting discussion involving several members enabled Mike to make significant progress. ​
  
 {{:​public:​img_0343.jpg?​400 |}} {{:​public:​img_0343.jpg?​400 |}}
Line 341: Line 341:
  
  
-<color #​ed1c24>​**The final 2019 meeting will be held on November 30th **</​color>​+<color #​ed1c24>​**November 30th **</​color>​
  
-  ​+The largest attendance of the year for the final meeting of our CBUS from Soup to Nuts Series - 41 members squeezed into the LWMRS clubroom’s library. ​
  
 +Many members had recently attended the Gaydon show (where Duxbury had featured) or Warley (where Kimble had won two awards) and used the informal get together at the start of the meeting to gather more information about the CBUS implementations on these layouts.
 +
 +The theme of this meeting was “Making Detection Useful”. That is, how to use information collected from movements on the track to either control, display or identify the stock. Three different approaches were presented.
 +
 +Bob Mercer, was unable to attend the meeting but he had prepared a video to show how he had used MERG Hectors at strategic positions in a small inglenook layout to detect not only the end positions of sidings but also to ensure that locos cannot run into incorrectly set points. The layout uses a combination of MERG CBUS modules and MERG DCC with a CBUS connected Arduino to provide automation and sound effects.
 +This layout had recently attracted much interest at the Gaydon and Warley shows and was available in the afternoon for members to try.
 +
 +David Thomas discussed his latest adventures with RFID. He showed how the RFID coils could be removed from low cost key fobs. These coils could be carefully reshaped to even fit inside an N Gauge vehicle. David has spent a significant amount of time researching RFID components to limit the cost of implementing the technology. He was able to demonstrate detection of individual locos which could then be linked to announcement systems both visual and sound.
 +
 +Finally, Tony Chamberlain expanded on his MERG Journal article (2019 – 2 – p13) – A Magnetic Identity. He showed how with a series of up to six “nano” magnets, 72 separate vehicles could be uniquely identified. Also, as the identity is unique, the direction of travel can be identified. Tony had used a Hall sensor attached to an Arduino to prove his concept using an N gauge locomotive.
 +
 +The presentations for this meeting and all previous meetings dating back to May 2017 can be found on the MERG Wiki.
 +==== 2020 Meetings ====
 +
 +At the end of 2019, the WNO members were asked to complete a survey which measured their satisfaction,​ asked for suggestions for improvement and collected a list of suggested subjects for inclusion in the 2020 meet schedule. This year, the theme for each meeting will be driven by items from the list. Also, the afternoon workshops will be more focussed to solve member’s problems and to give individual members the opportunity to show projects on which they are working.
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**JANUARY 26th 2020**</​color>​
 +
 +Responding to the members’ top request, <color #​00a2e8>​**Simon West**</​color>​ presented and demonstrated how to build non-kit CANMIO modules. Starting with the CANMIO-SVO as the start point, he explained the extra components required and also those components which are not required to build a CANMIO-OUT. ​
 +Simon recommended this 2nd generation module as it is the easiest option to implement rather than the CANVOUT which will be shipped with Universal firmware. CANMIO – OUT provides 8 output AND 8 logic level inputs.
 +Having explained the function of Firmware, Simon showed how to change the firmware using FCU and explained the importance of selecting the correct firmware from the MERG Wiki based upon the resonator / chip type combination.
 + 
 +<color #​00a2e8>​**John Gowers**</​color>​ provided two useful feedback sessions: a reflection on the AGM and feedback from the experience of taking the LWMRS 0 Gauge exhibition layout with its CBUS and MERG DCC installations to the Warley show at the NEC.
 +At this meeting, the workshops were particularly active with many members showing progress with personal projects and various kits being inspected, tested and made to work.
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**March 28th 2020**</​color>​
 +
 +This meeting was postponed due to the Covid-19 virus restrictions but replaced by a series of Virtual meetings using the Zoom application.
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**Virtual Meetings**</​color>​
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**April 2020 Meetings**</​color>​
 +
 +**Three meetings were held in April**. ​
 +
 +The first was a "set up" meeting, on **April 15th**, to ensure that all the members could logon and access the virtual space which most were able to accomplish, with about 30 members attending. **Alan Geekie** was invited to provide a "View from the Top of Merg" and was able to answer members questions. This meeting also enabled **Mike Collins** who is the Area Group moderator for the Zoom meetings to refine the registration process for members. This process is now in use and ensures the security and integrity of the meeting and its attendees. It allows members to register for a series of meetings then receive a confirmation email with an embedded link for use on the meeting day. Registered members also receive a reminder on the afternoon of the meeting.
 +
 +On **April 22nd**, 40 members attended to hear **Mike Plowman** give an "​Introduction to DCC" followed by **Simon West** covering "​Components of a DCC System"​. Simon'​s session was particularly interactive with members'​ questions being answered on the fly.
 +
 +On **April 29th**, 44 members came along to hear **David Roberts** and **Jeremy Mole** give advice about selecting and installing DCC Decoders.
 +
 +After three meetings, a "​poll"​ was held to determine how the members wished to proceed. Overwhelmingly,​ the members wanted to continue with 90 minute meetings generally on a fortnightly basis.
 +
 +<color #​ed1c24>​**Meetings for May 2020**</​color>​
 +
 +**Meeting 1**: Wednesday, May 13th at 7pm:
 +
 +Members'​ Projects:
 +
 +An Arduino driven traverser - Keith Newton
 +
 +Arduino DCC++ - Alan Ferriday
 +
 +
 +**Meeting 2**: Wednesday May 20th at 7pm.
 +
 +Aligning DCC decoder sounds with the real world of driving an engine. - John Gowers
 +
 +**Meeting 3**: Wednesday May 27th at 7pm.
 +
 +Members'​ Projects:
 +
 +Progress with CANCOMPUTE - John Fletcher
 +
 +Configuring DCC Decoders - David Roberts
 +
 +All meetings in normal times are held at the club rooms of the <color #​00a2e8>​**Leamington and Warwick Model Railway Society**</​color>​ (www.lwmrs.co.uk)
 +
 +To attend a Virtual Warwickshire,​ North Oxfordshire MERG Area Group Meeting you must be a MERG member and opt for communications from the WNO Group. You will then receive invitations to register for the Virtual Meetings.
  
 More details are available on the Warwickshire,​ North Oxfordshire Area Group'​s Page of the Forum. More details are available on the Warwickshire,​ North Oxfordshire Area Group'​s Page of the Forum.
Line 353: Line 422:
 ==== Exhibitions ==== ==== Exhibitions ====
 **Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society Show**\\ **Leamington & Warwick Model Railway Society Show**\\
-Saturday 6th March and Sunday 7th March 2020\\+Saturday 6th March and Sunday 7th March 2021\\
  
 Leamington Spa College, Warwick New Road, Leamington Spa, CV32 5JE.\\ Leamington Spa College, Warwick New Road, Leamington Spa, CV32 5JE.\\
public/warwick.1569095349.txt.gz · Last modified: 2019/09/21 19:49 by MikeP