User Tools

Site Tools


public:westmids

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
Next revision
Previous revision
public:westmids [2019/10/03 09:57]
allan_gardner [Saturday 12th October 2019]
public:westmids [2020/06/30 15:15] (current)
johnstoncg [July 2018]
Line 9: Line 9:
  
  
-To contact us use the MERG West Midlands Area Group contact form here [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​areagroup.php?​area=17|]]+To contact us use the [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​areagroup.php?​area=17|MERG West Midlands Area Group contact form.]]\\
  
 For MERG members, you might also like to look at our [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​forum/​viewforum.php?​f=110|area group forum.]] For MERG members, you might also like to look at our [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​forum/​viewforum.php?​f=110|area group forum.]]
Line 22: Line 22:
  
  
-//The next meeting of the West Midlands Area Group will be://+//<color #ed1c24>The July meeting of the West Midlands Area Group has been cancelled</​color>​. ​ See below ://
    
  
  
-===== Saturday 12th October 2019 ===== +====== Important information about our next meeting ======
- +
  
 +**In the view of the ongoing Coronavirus situation and the advice received from MERG Committee, my WMAG colleagues and I have decided to <color #​ed1c24>​cancel our meeting on Sunday 12th July 2020</​color>​.
  
-At **Titford Pump HouseEngine StreetOLDBURY, West Midlands B69 4NL**.+\\  
 +\\ So our next meeting should be Saturday 10th October (but note the weasel word indicating lack of certainty!)\\  
 +\\  
 +  
 +We shalllike many othersmonitor the situation and decide whether future meetings will take place nearer the time. **  
 + ===== =====
  
-[[https://​www.google.co.uk/​maps/​place/​Titford+Pumphouse/​@52.4966868,​-2.0095574,​19z/​data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48709794db0b2afb:​0x85f894929c8ab6f8!8m2!3d52.4966868!4d-2.0090102|Google Map]] 
  
 ==== About Titford Pump House. ==== ==== About Titford Pump House. ====
   ​   ​
-//There is plenty of car parking – mostly on Engine Street, some within the pump house compound. The address above includes a Google maps link. All facilities are at ground level.// 
  
  
-==== This months ​topics: ====+**Titford Pump House, Engine Street, OLDBURY, West Midlands B69 4NL**. 
 + 
 +[[https://​www.google.co.uk/​maps/​place/​Titford+Pumphouse/​@52.4966868,​-2.0095574,​19z/​data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x48709794db0b2afb:​0x85f894929c8ab6f8!8m2!3d52.4966868!4d-2.0090102|Google Map]] 
 + 
 + 
 + 
 + 
 +//There is plenty of car parking – mostly on Engine Street, some within the Pump House compound. The address above includes a Google maps link. All facilities are at ground level.// 
 + 
 + 
 +==== This quarters ​topics: ==== 
 + 
 +None - as the meeting has been cancelled. 
 + 
 +The rest of the programme has been left unchanged, so that the format remains for future meetings. 
  
-  
  
-We welcome John Gower who will give talks on: 
-=== 1.Decoder steam sounds and their relation to the real thing, and what to look for in buying a DCC system ​  === 
  
-=== 2. Fitting Decoders with emphasis on DCC === 
  
-  
  
  
Line 81: Line 94:
 //​Housekeeping//:​ Fire exit & procedure, First aid, Toilet, Dishwasher.  ​ //​Housekeeping//:​ Fire exit & procedure, First aid, Toilet, Dishwasher.  ​
  
-//Other matters// ​Arduino Course Update, shows & Exhibitions.+//Other matters// ​
  
  
  
  
-=== 10.30 Talk 1 ===+=== 10.30 Talk 1   ​===
  
  
Line 95: Line 108:
 Tea, Coffee, and cake. Tea, Coffee, and cake.
  
-=== 11:45 Talk 2 ===+=== 11:45 Talk 2   ​===
  
 +
 +=== 12:15 Talk 3   ===
  
  
 === 12.45 Discussion: Any Questions and any Answers!! === === 12.45 Discussion: Any Questions and any Answers!! ===
  
-Opportunity to discuss things further.+Opportunity to discuss things further ​from this morning sessions.
  
 === 13:00 Lunch === === 13:00 Lunch ===
  
 Bring your own or eat loads of cake!  Bring your own or eat loads of cake! 
 +
 +For Saturday meetings, there are nearby sandwich shops - for Sunday meetings, if you haven'​t your own sandwiches, you will need to head in to Sainsbury'​s in Oldbury.
  
 === 13:30 Practical Workshop Session 1 === === 13:30 Practical Workshop Session 1 ===
  
-John will be with us all day so, take the opportunity to delve deeper into today’s subjectsHe has offered ​to bring the kit locker with him so plenty of opportunities to stock up on MERG Kits.  If that's not your thing then work on your current project. ​  We will do our best to help with construction and problem-solving. ​ Bring your own tools including your soldering iron+Our usual informal session ​Chat ​to colleagues or work on your current project. ​  We will do our best to help with construction and problem-solving. ​ Bring your own tools etc
  
 === 14:30 Refreshment Break === === 14:30 Refreshment Break ===
Line 152: Line 169:
  
  
-===== Meeting dates for 2019 =====+===== Meeting dates for 2020 =====
  
  
-The dates below are for the quarterly meetings for 2019.+The dates below are for the quarterly meetings for 2020.
  
-  * Winter - Sunday ​13th January +  * Winter - Sunday ​12th January 
-  * Spring - Saturday ​13th April +  * Spring - Saturday ​11th April   (This meeting was cancelled) 
-  * Summer - Sunday ​14th July +  * Summer - Sunday ​12th July      (This meeting was cancelled) 
-  * Autumn - Saturday ​12th October ​+  * Autumn - Saturday ​10th October ​(With a bit of luck, this meeting will go ahead)
  
  
Line 182: Line 199:
 If you have a view on any of the above, please share with the co-ordinator using the contact form above.  ​ If you have a view on any of the above, please share with the co-ordinator using the contact form above.  ​
 ===== Previous meetings ===== ===== Previous meetings =====
 +
 +
 +
 +==== January 2020 ====
 +
 +
 +David Roberts gave two talks. ​
 +
 +John Fletcher talked about 'My MERG Journey'​
 +==== October 2019 ====
 +
 +John Gowers came and talked about the mechanics of a steam engine. ​ Capturing real sounds and applying them to your model railway
 +
 +Inserting sound chips in locos and how to use them effectively.  ​
 +
 +
 +
 +
  
 ==== July 2019 ==== ==== July 2019 ====
Line 245: Line 280:
 The theme of our meeting was ‘Back to Basics’ ​ The theme of our meeting was ‘Back to Basics’ ​
  
-//AM  - Two talks given by Howard ​to include// +//AM  - Two talks given by Howard ​included// 
    
  
public/westmids.1570096625.txt.gz · Last modified: 2019/10/03 09:57 by allan_gardner