User Tools

Site Tools


public:vag

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
Next revision
Previous revision
public:vag [2019/11/26 18:15]
uppermill [Future Meetings in 2019]
public:vag [2020/07/07 07:35] (current)
uppermill
Line 1: Line 1:
-| [[:​public:​areagroups|Return to Area Groups News]] | [[:​public:​start|Index to other public pages]] | [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​index.php|MERG Home page]] | 
- 
-^  Next Meeting ​ ^ 
-|**<​color red>​There are <​COUNTDOWN:​10:​00 2019-12-10|the next Virtual Meeting (10:00 GMT on 10th December 2019)></​color>​** | 
- 
-===== MERG Virtual Area Group ===== 
 ~~NOCACHE~~ ~~NOCACHE~~
 +~~NOTOC~~
  
-==== Email ====+<WRAP hide> 
 +**************************************************** 
 +Replace Somewhere with the name of your area group. 
 +**************************************************** 
 +</​WRAP>​
  
-To send us an email, [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​areagroup.php?​area=28|use the MERG Area Group contact form]]\\ ​ +<WRAP notice round centeralign>​ 
-For <color darkblue>​**MERG**</colormembers, you might also like to look at our [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​forum/​viewforum.php?​f=245|area group forum.]]+====== MERG Virtual ​Area Group ====== 
 +</WRAP>
  
-==== Area Group Coordinator ====+<WRAP box round centeralign button>​ 
 +\\ 
 +[[:​public:​areagroups|Area Groups]] [[:​public:​start|Public pages]] [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​index.php|MERG Home page]] </​WRAP>​
  
-Allan Geekie M5173 email addressvag@merg.org.uk+<WRAP hide> 
 +**************************************************** 
 +Replace photo with a area group meeting photo 
 +**************************************************** 
 +</​WRAP>​ 
 +<WRAP box round centeralign>​ 
 +{{:​public:​istock-168615238.jpg?​nolink&​400|}} 
 +</​WRAP>​ 
 +===== How do I contact the Virtual Area Group? ===== 
 +  
 +<WRAP hide> 
 +*************************************************************************** 
 +Replace NN with the number of your area group - get from the AG admin page. 
 +Update the contact form title. 
 +*************************************************************************** 
 +</​WRAP>​ 
 +<WRAP help round button>  
 +\\ 
 +[[https://www.merg.org.uk/​areagroup.php?​area=28|MERG Virtual Area Group contact form]] 
 +</​WRAP>​
  
-==== How It Works ====+===== Who is the leader of the group? =====
  
-This group now uses Zoom to conduct a group meeting from member'​s homes or workplaces. It was formed in October 2018 to assess ​the usefulness ​of video conferencing technology.+<WRAP hide> 
 +**************************************************** 
 +Replace photo with the names and titles ​of leaders. 
 +**************************************************** 
 +</​WRAP>​ 
 +<WRAP info round>  
 +\\ 
 +Allan Geekie\\ 
 +</​WRAP>​
  
-The calls last one hour and to participate,​ members need a mobile phone, tablet or a PC / Mac with a camera and microphone. Recently we have started to enable members ​to join by telephone if they have limited broadband facilities+===== Would you like to join today? ===== 
- +<WRAP hide> 
-In order to join the group you need to send an email to Allan at vag@merg.org.uk. +**************************************************** 
- +Update area group name
-Calls are scheduled in advance ​and are held on the second and fourth Tuesday of each month at 10:00GMT or 10:00BSTTopics are agreed in advance.  +**************************************************** 
- +</​WRAP>​ 
-When it is time to start a call, a voice and video conference is opened up which has thumbnails of each video participant and any shared presentations or desktops. The call leader facilitates ​the call and the discussions and tries to get through the agenda in the agreed time. Zoom has two views available. The first is the speaker view which selects the video stream from the person speaking. The second is Gallery view which shows streams from all participants+<WRAP tip round> 
- +Not a member? then <WRAP button>​[[https://​www.merg.org.uk/membership.php|Join MERG Here]]</​WRAP> ​and sign up to this Area Group. If you are already a member <WRAP button>​[[https://merg.org.uk/​membership/​areagroups.php|Join the Virtual Area Group]]</​WRAP>​ 
-Members are participating from:-+Select **Virtual Area Group** from the drop down list in **Other Area Groups** ​and press the **Subscribe ​to Area Group** button
 +</​WRAP> ​   ​
  
 +===== How do you meet? =====
 +<WRAP hide>
 +****************************************************
 +Provide meeting details
 +****************************************************
 +</​WRAP>​
 +<WRAP info round> ​
 +The Virtual Area Group uses a Zoom video call to meet every Tuesday for an hour or more.\\
 +\\
 +The times vary to try and make the calls work for different time zones. We regularly welcome members from: -\\
 +\\
   * Australia\\   * Australia\\
   * Canada\\   * Canada\\
Line 37: Line 78:
   * USA.\\   * USA.\\
  
-Members can access the presentation ​material [[helpsystem:​presentations#​merg_virtual_area_group_s|here]].+Calls are recorded and made available to all members through MERG TV; presentation ​materials are also available. 
 +</​WRAP>​
  
-If you would like to try out Zoom, then there is a test meeting service where you are the only participant and you can experiment ​with the various options available.+===== And the Next Meeting? ===== 
 +<WRAP hide> 
 +*************************************************************************** 
 +Replace NN with the number of your area group - get from the AG admin page. 
 +Update the contact form title. 
 +*************************************************************************** 
 +</​WRAP>​ 
 +<WRAP box round borderlesstable>​  
 +<​ORG34>​ALL|40|28|NO</​ORG34>​ 
 +</​WRAP>​
  
- ​[[http://​zoom.us/​test]]+===== How are Topics Chosen? =====
  
-This link is available to anybody, not just members of the virtual area group.+<WRAP info round> ​
  
-==== Next Meeting ====+In April 2020 we carried out a poll of VAG members and the following topics were identified as the most popular: -
  
-**<color red>​There are <​COUNTDOWN:​10:​00 2019-12-10|the next Virtual Meeting ​(10:00 GMT on 10th December 2019)></​color>​**+  ​How kits work - a series of calls, each discussing the how one particular kit works - now schuduled 
 +  ​Types and use of baseboard connectors ​covered in Demystifying Components ​-Wires and Connectors 
 +  * Oscilloscopes and logic analysers for hobbyists - now scheduled 
 +  * Using the FCU - a multi part course is being considered including the use of the FCU to configure individual 2nd generation modules. 
 +  * Testing boards ​(use of various pieces of test equipment and the way to go about it- A Test Gear Buyers Guide has already been presented.
  
-The proposed agenda is as  follows+  * Neater Methods of under board wiring 
 +  * Best practice for wiring different bus types 
 +  * Layout control buses 
 +  * CBUS wiring strategy on a large club O gauge layout - scheduled 
 +  * CANPAN wiring 
 +  * Servo and Servo Mounts 
 +  * Building CANVOUT 
 +  * Prusa 3D Printer 
 +  * 3D scanners 
 +  * Photogrammetry - generating 3D models from multiple photographs 
 +  * CBUS Beginners Kit.
  
-Tuesday 10th December 2019 - 10:00 GMT+Members can suggest topics at any time using the member email system. 
 +</​WRAP>​
  
-^Item^Leader^Notes^ +===== How do Video Calls Work? =====
-|  Journal Feedback|Allan| We will take a few minutes to gather some feedback regarding the December Journal | +
-|  Tales from the Kitlocker|Judi Rastall| A good opportunity to learn more about this essential part of MERG|+
  
-Once you have confirmed with the leader that you wish to participate, ​you will receive ​reminder email on the day before the call and second email 15 minutes before the call with a link to enable you to join the call.+<WRAP round tip> 
 +The calls last one hour and to participate, ​members need mobile phone, tablet or PC / Mac with a camera and microphone
  
 +Calls are scheduled in advance and are held on each Tuesday of each month at 10:00, 12:30 or 18:30 GMT or BST. Topics are agreed in advance. ​
  
-==== Future Meetings ​in 2019 ====+When it is time to start a call, a voice and video conference is opened up which has thumbnails of each video participant and any shared presentations or desktops. The call leader facilitates the call and the discussions and tries to get through the agenda ​in the agreed time. Zoom has two views available. The first is the speaker view which selects the video stream from the person speaking. The second is Gallery view which shows streams from all participants.
  
-Calls are held on the second ​and fourth Tuesday of each month at 11:00GMT or 10:00BST. The calls scheduled for 2019 are listed in the[[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​meetings.php#​|MERG Meeting Programme]].+If you would like to try out Zoom, then there is a test meeting service where you are the only participant ​and you can experiment with the various options available.
  
-Currently the group have agreed the meetings until the end of December, there are calendar entries up to the end of September but these may change.+<WRAP button>​[[http://​zoom.us/​test|Test Zoom]]</​WRAP>​
  
-Agendas exist for some future meetings - these may change. +This link is available ​to anybody, ​not just members ​of the virtual area group. 
- +</WRAP>
- +
- +
-=== December Schedule ==== +
- +
-^Time/​Date^Item^Leader^Notes^ +
-|18:30 GMT 17th|  Layout Wiring|All| | +
- +
-This is the initial outline for the programme over the next few months. It will change as I agree dates with presenters. +
- +
-Suggestions for additional topics would be welcome. +
- +
-I am deliberately trying ​to leave some gaps so that we can insert topics at short notice. +
- +
-^Date / Time^Topic^Topic Lead^ +
-|**January 2020**||| +
-|14th 18:​30GMT|Train Detection Discussion|All| +
-|21st 10:​00GMT|MERG in 2020|Martin Perry| +
-|28th 10:​00GMT|Radio Throttles Discussion|All| +
-|**February**||| +
-|11th 10:​00GMT|CANV* Modules|Ian Hart| +
-|18th 18:​30GMT|TBA|All| +
-|25th 10:​00GMT|Arduino Discussion|All| +
-|**March**||| +
-|10th 10:00 GMT|3D Resin Printing|Chris Walsh and Roger Woodward| +
-|17th 18:​30GMT|What is on our Workbenches?​|All| +
-|24th 10:00 GMT|TBA|All| +
-|**April**||| +
-|14th 10:00|TBA | +
-|21st 18:​30GMT|TBA|All| +
-|28th 10:​00GMT|Raspberry Pi Discussion|All| +
- +
-There is a standby list of topics that appear regularly:​- +
- +
-  * <color darkblue>​**MERG**</​color>​ Update +
-  * Last Journal +
-  * Our Layouts +
-  * Our Projects +
-  * Helping Beginners +
-  * Kit Surgery +
-  * 3D Printing +
-  * Blue Pill Microcontrollers. +
- +
-==== Previous Meetings in 2019 ==== +
- +
-26th November 2019 18:30 GMT +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Notes^ +
-|  Video Recording of VAG calls|All|My original of a policy is not working due to space restrictions at Zoom; we need to agree a policy; I can provide an update on the recent problems.| +
- +
-19th November 2019 18:30 GMT +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Notes^ +
-|  DCC PMP Kits Discussion|All|This is the first of the evening discussion callsd. We weill start with PMP DCC kits but see where it takes us. | +
- +
-12th November 2019 10:00 GMT +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Notes^ +
-|  Merg Feedback|Allan|Feedback from the Thirsk event and AGM| +
-|  Getting Started with PlatformIO|Dave McCabe|What is PlatformIO?​| +
- +
-=== October 22nd === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|Designing PCBs|Alan Turner| 30 | | +
-|MERG Online|Martin Sebborn | 30  | | +
- +
-=== October 8th === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|Journal - The Road to JMRI series|Allan| 40 | | +
-|Challenge the Group| All | 20 |This is an opportunity to ask the group for help with problems on your layout or  with electronics in general| +
- +
-=== 24th September === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  More Wires or More Modules|Discussion| ​ 40  | Duncan lit the blue touchpaper on the Forum| +
- +
-=== 10th September === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Journal Feedback|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  MERG Update|Allan| ​ 5  |Update from the last committee meeting| +
-|  CBUS for Beginners|Discussion| ​ 20  |How to progress the idea of helping CBUS adoption for new users| +
-|  TTH CANCAB|Discussion| ​ 30  |General discussion| +
- +
-=== 27th August === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Station Destination Boards|Discussion| ​ 45  |An opportunity to discuss hardware and messaging systems| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 13th August === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  DC Control|Discussion| ​ 45  |An opportunity to discuss the forgotten world of DC control| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 9th July === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Signalling Objects for CBUS|Dave Turner| ​ 55  |The aims of this White Paper are as follows| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|1 To make configuration and documentation of an interlocked system easier| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|2 To add the following higher level functionality to the existing CBUS messaging system| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| - System initialisation| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| - Interlocking of modelled signalling items| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| - Route reservation,​ locking and release| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| - Reporting ​ of operational errors| +
-=== 25th June === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  General Discussion|All| ​ 45  |CANEMPTY, 3D Printing Java FCU, Rocrail, stiction controllers,​ wifi controllers,​ CBUS module reset and Duncan'​s latest servo setter.| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 11th June === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Journal Feedback|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  DCC Decoder for Under a Fiver|Duncan Greenwood| ​ 45  |Duncan will talk about the work he has been doing on hardware and firmware for a DCC loco decoder| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
-=== 28th May === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  On my Workbench|Discussion| ​ 25  |What are we all working on.| +
-|  CBUS - long messages 2|Discussion| ​ 20  |Potential solutions| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 14th May === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Blue Pill Talks to CUS|Dave McCabe| ​ 45  |Dave takes up the challenge to show how a simple program on a Blue Pill module can communicate with CBUS| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 23 April === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Etiquette|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  PMP Project Ideas|Discussion| ​ 25  |What would we like to see as future PMP projects?​| +
-|  CBUS - long messages 1|Discussion| ​ 20  |Problem Definition| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 9th April === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Workbenches|Discussion| ​ 25  |What are members working on at the moment?| +
-|  Layouts|Discussion| ​ 20  |Share information on the layouts we are contributing to| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 26th March === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  From the Workbench|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Getting Started with Blue Pill Microcontrollers|Dave McC|  25  |Quick intro to Blue PIll( inc schmatic )| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Arduino IDE| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Blue pill config| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Compiling code| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Flashing using ST-Link| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Debugging|  +
-|  Any Questions|Discussion| ​ 10  |Let us all try and help one another with any '​burning platforms'​| +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics would we like to discuss in future calls| +
- +
-=== 12th March === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Last Journal|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  CBUS|TBA| ​ 40  |TBA to include Layouts with large numbers of modules| +
-|  Any Questions|Discussion| ​ 10  |Let us all try and help one another with any '​burning platforms'​| +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics would we like to discuss in future calls| +
- +
-=== 26th February === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  <color darkblue>​**MERG**</colorUpdate|Allan| ​ 5  |Feedback from last committee meeting| +
-|  3D Printing|Howard| ​ 40  |(1) Filament| ​  +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Makes| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Types| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Storage| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|(2) Creating a model| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Design Software| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Correction software| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Slicing software| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|(3) Printing in more than one colours| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Change filament at certain depth| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Separate objects glued together| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Multi material| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|(4) 3D Printers| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Makes| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Bed Levelling| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Nozzles| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|(5) What can go wrong (if time permits)?​| +
-|  Any Questions|Discussion| ​ 10  |Let us all try and help one another with any '​burning platforms'​| +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics would we like to discuss in future calls| +
- +
-=== 12th February === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Interesting Forum Threads|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  A MERG Newsletter|Discussion| ​ 25  |Discussion about a new way of communicating with members| +
-|  Helping Beginners|Allan| ​ 15  |Discussion about what beginners need to know about resistance| +
-|  Any Questions|Discussion| ​ 10  |Let us all try and help one another with any '​burning platforms'​| +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics would we like to discuss in future calls|+
  
-=== 22nd January ===+----
  
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +<WRAP button>[[areagroups:​vag:​vag_page_internal|VAG Members Page]]</WRAP>
-|  ​<color darkblue>**MERG**</colorUpdate|Allan Geekie| ​ 5  |Feedback from last committee meeting| +
-|  Layouts|Discussion| ​ 25  |Updates from the group on the electronics on the layouts they are working on| +
-|  Projects|Discussion| ​ 25  |Projects from the group'​s workbenches| +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics would we like to discuss in future calls|+
public/vag.1574792150.txt.gz · Last modified: 2019/11/26 18:15 by uppermill