User Tools

Site Tools


public:vag

Differences

This shows you the differences between two versions of the page.

Link to this comparison view

Both sides previous revision Previous revision
Next revision
Previous revision
public:vag [2020/03/24 16:32]
uppermill
public:vag [2020/05/12 20:51] (current)
Munrobagger [Meeting Schudule]
Line 1: Line 1:
-| [[:​public:​areagroups|Return to Area Groups News]] | [[:​public:​start|Index to other public pages]] | [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​index.php|MERG Home page]] | 
- 
-|**<​color red>​There are <​COUNTDOWN:​12:​30 2020-03-31|the next Virtual Area Group Meeting (12:30 GMT on 31st March 2020)></​color>​** | 
- 
-===== MERG Virtual Area Group ===== 
 ~~NOCACHE~~ ~~NOCACHE~~
 +====== MERG Virtual Area Group ======
  
-==== Email ====+The Virtual Area Group uses a Zoom video call to meet every Tuesday for an hour or more.
  
-To send us an email, [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​areagroup.php?​area=28|use the MERG Area Group contact form]]\\  +===== Meeting Schedule =====
-For <color darkblue>​**MERG**</​color>​ members, you might also like to look at our [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​forum/​viewforum.php?​f=245|area group forum.]]+
  
-==== Area Group Coordinator ====+<​ORG34>​ALL|80|28</​ORG34>​
  
-Allan Geekie M5173 - email address: vag@merg.org.uk +The times vary to try and make the calls work for different ​time zonesWe regularly welcome members ​from: -
- +
-==== How It Works ==== +
- +
-This group now uses Zoom to conduct a group meeting from member'​s homes or workplaces. It was formed in October 2018 to assess the usefulness of video conferencing technology. +
- +
-The calls last one hour and to participate,​ members need a mobile phone, tablet or a PC / Mac with a camera ​and microphone. Recently we have started to enable members to join by telephone if they have limited broadband facilities. +
- +
-In order to join the group you need to register at [[https://​merg.org.uk/​membership/​|this link]]. In the Area Groups section, select MERG Virtual Area Group from the drop down list and press the green button with the plus sign. +
- +
-Calls are scheduled in advance and are held on the second, third and fourth Tuesday of each month at 10:00 or 18:30 GMT or BST. Topics are agreed in advance.  +
- +
-When it is time to start a call, a voice and video conference is opened up which has thumbnails of each video participant and any shared presentations or desktopsThe call leader facilitates the call and the discussions and tries to get through the agenda in the agreed time. Zoom has two views available. The first is the speaker view which selects the video stream from the person speaking. The second is Gallery view which shows streams from all participants. +
- +
-Members are participating ​from:-+
  
   * Australia\\   * Australia\\
Line 36: Line 17:
   * USA.\\   * USA.\\
  
-Members can access the presentation material [[helpsystem:​presentations#​merg_virtual_area_group_s|here]]. +Calls are recorded and made available to all members ​through ​MERG TVpresentation materials ​are also available.
- +
- +
-Calls are recorded and stored on MERG TV; access links are provided to members of the group. +
- +
-If you would like to try out Zoom, then there is a test meeting service where you are the only participant and you can experiment with the various options available. +
- +
- ​[[http://​zoom.us/​test]] +
- +
-This link is available to anybody, not just members ​of the virtual area group. +
- +
-==== Next Meeting ==== +
- +
-|**<​color red>​There are <​COUNTDOWN:​12:​30 2020-03-31|the next Virtual Area Group Meeting (12:30 GMT on 31st March 2020)></​color>​** | +
- +
- +
-The proposed agenda is as  follows +
- +
-**Tuesday 31st March 2020 12:30 GMT** +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|An Introduction to Arduinos for Model Railway Layouts|Duncan Greenwood|How to get started with an Arduino module and do useful things on a layout.| +
- +
-Once you have confirmed with the leader that you wish to participate,​ you will receive a reminder email on the Sunday before the call and a second email 15 / 30 minutes before the call with a link to enable you to join. +
- +
- +
-==== Future Meetings ==== +
- +
-Calls are held on most Tuesdays of each month at 10:00, 12:30 or 18:30 BST / GMT.  +
- +
-Topics exist for some future meetings - these may change. +
- +
-Suggestions for additional topics would be welcome. +
- +
-Some discussion topics may move if needed. +
- +
-^Date / Time^Topic^Topic Lead^ +
-|**April**||| +
-|7th 10:00 BST|Making Great Connections|Howard Watkins| +
-|14th 10:00 BST|Universal Software|Dave McCabe| +
-|21st 18:30 BST|Semaphore Signals|All| +
-|28th 10:00 BST|Raspberry Pi Discussion|All| +
-|**May**||| +
-|7th 18:30 BST|You, too, can Change the Wiki|Allan Geekie| +
-|14th 10:00 BST|Fusion 360|Dave McCabe| +
-|21st 18:30 BST|DC Control|All| +
-|28th 10:00 BST|CBUS on my Arduino|All| +
-|**June**||| +
-|2nd 18:30 BST|TBA| +
-|9th 10:00 BST|Success with Surface Mount Devices|Duncan Greenwood| +
-|16th 18:30 BST|Connectors|All| +
-|23rd 10:00 BST|TBA|All| +
-|**July**||| +
-|7th 18:30 BST|TBA| +
-|14th 10:00 BST|TBA|All| +
-|21st 18:30 BST|TBA|All| +
-|28th 10:00 BST|TBA|All| +
-|**August**||| +
-|4th 18:30 BST|TBA| +
-|11th 10:00 BST|TBA|All| +
-|18st 18:30 BST|TBA|All| +
-|25th 10:00 BST|TBA|All| +
-|**September**||| +
-|1st 18:30 BST|TBA| +
-|8th 10:00 BST|Signalling|Dave McCabe| +
-| 18:30 BST|What is on our Workbenches?​|All| +
-|28th 10:00 BST|TBA|All| +
-There is a standby list of topics that appear regularly:​- +
- +
-  * <color darkblue>​**MERG**</​color>​ Update +
-  * Last Journal +
-  * Our Layouts +
-  * Our Projects +
-  * Helping Beginners +
-  * Kit Surgery +
-  * 3D Printing +
-  * Blue Pill Microcontrollers. +
- +
- +
-==== Previous Meetings in 2020 ==== +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|Journal Discussion|All|A discussion around the Journal, what w like, what changes might we want to see| +
- +
-**Tuesday 17th March 2020 18:30 GMT** +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|Colour Light Signals|All|A discussion around the topic of controlling colour light signals| +
- +
-**Tuesday 10th March 2020 10:00 GMT** +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|3D Resin Printing|Chris Walsh and Roger Woodward|Chris and Roger will talk about the highs and lows of 3D resin printing| +
- +
-** Tuesday 25th February** +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|What is on our Workbenches?​|All|What are we workin on| +
- +
-**Tuesday 18th February 2020** +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|Changing Points|All|A general discussion on the topic of changing points - I guess we will start with a finger!| +
- +
-**Tuesday 11th February 2020 10:00 GMT** +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|CANV* Modules|Ian Hart|Ian will talk about the new CANV range of modules, now in production and about to appear in the Kitlocker| +
- +
-**Tuesday 28th January 2020 10:00 GMT** +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|Radio Throttles Discussion|All|A general discussion around wireless communication with hand-held throttles.| +
- +
-Tuesday 21st January 2020 10:00 GMT +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|MERG in 2020|Martin Perry|MERG Chairman, Martin Perry discusses what MERG will be doing in the coming year.| +
- +
-Tuesday 14th January 2020 18:30 GMT +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|Train Detection Discussion|All|A general discussion around train detection using light, lasers, magnets, current consumption and any other ideas that members can devise| +
-==== Previous Meetings in 2019 ==== +
- +
-Tuesday 17th December 2019 18:30 GMT +
- +
-^Topic^Leader^Notes^ +
-|  Layout Wiring|All| A general discussion on the basics of wiring a layout| +
- +
-Tuesday 10th December 2019 - 10:00 GMT +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Notes^ +
-|  Journal Feedback|Allan| We will take a few minutes to gather some feedback regarding the December Journal | +
-|  Tales from the Kitlocker|Judi Rastall| A good opportunity to learn more about this essential part of MERG| +
-26th November 2019 18:30 GMT +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Notes^ +
-|  Video Recording of VAG calls|All|My original of a policy is not working due to space restrictions at Zoomwe need to agree a policy; I can provide an update on the recent problems.| +
- +
-19th November 2019 18:30 GMT +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Notes^ +
-|  DCC PMP Kits Discussion|All|This is the first of the evening discussion callsd. We weill start with PMP DCC kits but see where it takes us. | +
- +
-12th November 2019 10:00 GMT +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Notes^ +
-|  Merg Feedback|Allan|Feedback from the Thirsk event and AGM| +
-|  Getting Started with PlatformIO|Dave McCabe|What is PlatformIO?​| +
- +
-=== October 22nd === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|Designing PCBs|Alan Turner| 30 | | +
-|MERG Online|Martin Sebborn | 30  | | +
- +
-=== October 8th === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|Journal - The Road to JMRI series|Allan| 40 | | +
-|Challenge the Group| All | 20 |This is an opportunity to ask the group for help with problems on your layout or  with electronics in general| +
- +
-=== 24th September === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  More Wires or More Modules|Discussion| ​ 40  | Duncan lit the blue touchpaper on the Forum| +
- +
-=== 10th September === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Journal Feedback|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  MERG Update|Allan| ​ 5  |Update from the last committee meeting| +
-|  CBUS for Beginners|Discussion| ​ 20  |How to progress the idea of helping CBUS adoption for new users| +
-|  TTH CANCAB|Discussion| ​ 30  |General discussion| +
- +
-=== 27th August === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Station Destination Boards|Discussion| ​ 45  |An opportunity to discuss hardware and messaging systems| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 13th August === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  DC Control|Discussion| ​ 45  |An opportunity to discuss the forgotten world of DC control| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 9th July === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Signalling Objects for CBUS|Dave Turner| ​ 55  |The aims of this White Paper are as follows| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|1 To make configuration and documentation of an interlocked system easier| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|2 To add the following higher level functionality to the existing CBUS messaging system| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| - System initialisation| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| - Interlocking of modelled signalling items| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| - Route reservation,​ locking and release| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| - Reporting ​ of operational errors| +
-=== 25th June === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  General Discussion|All| ​ 45  |CANEMPTY, 3D Printing Java FCU, Rocrail, stiction controllers,​ wifi controllers,​ CBUS module reset and Duncan'​s latest servo setter.+
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 11th June === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Journal Feedback|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  DCC Decoder for Under a Fiver|Duncan Greenwood| ​ 45  |Duncan will talk about the work he has been doing on hardware and firmware for a DCC loco decoder| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
-=== 28th May === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  On my Workbench|Discussion| ​ 25  |What are we all working on.| +
-|  CBUS - long messages 2|Discussion| ​ 20  |Potential solutions| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 14th May === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Blue Pill Talks to CUS|Dave McCabe| ​ 45  |Dave takes up the challenge to show how a simple program on a Blue Pill module can communicate with CBUS| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 23 April === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Etiquette|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  PMP Project Ideas|Discussion| ​ 25  |What would we like to see as future PMP projects?​| +
-|  CBUS - long messages 1|Discussion| ​ 20  |Problem Definition| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?| +
- +
-=== 9th April === +
- +
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Workbenches|Discussion| ​ 25  |What are members working on at the moment?| +
-|  Layouts|Discussion| ​ 20  |Share information on the layouts we are contributing to| +
-|  Burning Topics|Discussion| ​ 10  |Does anybody need some help?|+
  
-=== 26th March ===+===== Area Group Coordinator =====
  
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +Allan Geekie - you can contact Allan using the [[https://​www.merg.org.uk/​areagroup.php?​area=28|MERG Area Group contact form]]\\ ​
-|  From the Workbench|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  Getting Started with Blue Pill Microcontrollers|Dave McC|  25  |Quick intro to Blue PIll( inc schmatic )| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Arduino IDE| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Blue pill config| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Compiling code| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Flashing using ST-Link| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|Debugging|  +
-|  Any Questions|Discussion| ​ 10  |Let us all try and help one another with any '​burning platforms'​| +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics would we like to discuss in future calls|+
  
-=== 12th March === 
  
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +===== Meeting ​Topics ​=====
-|  Last Journal|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  CBUS|TBA| ​ 40  |TBA to include Layouts with large numbers of modules| +
-|  Any Questions|Discussion| ​ 10  |Let us all try and help one another with any '​burning platforms'​| +
-|  Future ​Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics would we like to discuss in future calls|+
  
-=== 26th February ===+In April 2020 we carried out a poll of VAG members and the following topics were identified as the most popular: -
  
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +  ​How kits work - a series of calls, each discussing the how one particular kit works - now schuduled 
-|  <color darkblue>​**MERG**</​color>​ Update|Allan| ​ 5  |Feedback from last committee meeting| +  * Types and use of baseboard connectors - covered in Demystifying Components -Wires and Connectors 
- 3D Printing|Howard| ​ 40  |(1) Filament| ​  +  Oscilloscopes and logic analysers for hobbyists - being planned as two part course. 
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Makes| +  Using the FCU - a multi part course is being considered including the use of the FCU to configure individual 2nd generation modules. 
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| ​* Types| +  Testing boards ​(use of various pieces of test equipment and the way to go about it- A Test Gear Buyers Guide is already scheduled; other calls to be added.
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| ​Storage| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|(2) Creating ​model| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| ​Design Software| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| ​Correction software| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Slicing software| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|(3) Printing in more than one colours| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Change filament at certain depth| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Separate objects glued together| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Multi material| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|(4) 3D Printers| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Makes| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Bed Levelling| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​| * Nozzles| +
-|:::​|:::​|:::​|(5) What can go wrong (if time permits)?| +
-|  Any Questions|Discussion| ​ 10  |Let us all try and help one another with any '​burning platforms'​| +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics would we like to discuss in future calls|+
  
-=== 12th February ===+  * Neater Methods of under board wiring 
 +  * Best practice for wiring different bus types 
 +  * Layout control buses 
 +  * CBUS wiring strategy on a large club O gauge layout - scheduled 
 +  * CANPAN wiring 
 +  * Servo and Servo Mounts 
 +  * Building CANVOUT 
 +  * Prusa 3D Printer 
 +  * 3D scanners 
 +  * Photogrammetry - generating 3D models from multiple photographs 
 +  * CBUS Beginners Kit.
  
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +Members can suggest ​topics ​at any time using the member email system.
-|  Interesting Forum Threads|Discussion| ​ 5  |Initial discussion while members join the call| +
-|  A MERG Newsletter|Discussion| ​ 25  |Discussion about a new way of communicating with members| +
-|  Helping Beginners|Allan| ​ 15  |Discussion about what beginners need to know about resistance| +
-|  Any Questions|Discussion| ​ 10  |Let us all try and help one another with any '​burning platforms'​| +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics ​would we like to discuss in future calls|+
  
-=== 22nd January ===+----
  
-^Item^Leader^Minutes^Notes^ +Members can access more information [[areagroups:​vag:​vag_page_internal|here]].
-|  <color darkblue>​**MERG**</​color>​ Update|Allan Geekie| ​ 5  |Feedback from last committee meeting| +
-|  Layouts|Discussion| ​ 25  |Updates from the group on the electronics on the layouts they are working on| +
-|  Projects|Discussion| ​ 25  |Projects from the group'​s workbenches| +
-|  Future Topics|Discussion| ​ 5  |What topics would we like to discuss in future calls|+
public/vag.1585067533.txt.gz · Last modified: 2020/03/24 16:32 by uppermill